About Me

My photo
Born a Rhodesian, became a Zimbo. Moved to Cape Town to Study and then to Johannesburg to work. Returned to Cape Town to design Microwave systems and run a restaurant. Did an MBA and got married. Had Lauren (95). Retured to Joburg and worked for Alcatel. Had Guy (98). Left Alcatel for Telequip (a Broadcast equipment company - 98)) and then got a job in Chad (2000) (running a cell phone company). Finally returned to Hout Bay (01) and ran Marlinspike Guest House for 10 years after trying a few other options. Sold the guest house at the beginning of 2015 and now footloose and fancy free. This blog is about our travels and adventures over the years and as Lauren and Guy have grown into adults. It keeps our memories and hopefully provides some useful info for other travellers to the same places. Please feel free to add your comments and any other info that you feel may be useful to others. Most important, I hope that you enjoy what we have put together!

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

SA Roadtrip - Bela Bela


Bela Bela 1- 12 September
We slept late the next morning because we knew we had the whole day to complete the setup and then took the process slowly so that nothing could go wrong – go wrong – go wrong.  The process was a lot more organized than at Elangeni with Ethan taking charge of the dance floor (which had to be re-built in spite of my efforts to  pack it sequentially).    Paul arrived at around 11.30 having flown and then all hell broke loose again.  At this venue we were using a lighting setup that we had not used previously and as it turned out the stands for the lights were not there.  He accused us of leaving it in Durban (which we hadn’t).  Then there was the 3 phase cable for the lights – same story and finally there were some metal bars that were needed for the screen.  In this case we had in fact left them in Durban and we admitted it, but for the rest of the day he continued to belittle particularly the younger guys) and tell his customers that we had left all his stuff in Durban.  The setup was completed at around 8pm as the other vehicle from Durban had some of the equipment (staging in particular) that was required for this even (which was much larger than the previous one)  The next day (Sunday which had originally been a rest day) we spent most of the day standing around or taking tape of the stage and painting both the stage and some scaffolding that would be used for the lighting.  Paul continued to treat everyone badly and at around 4pm accused us of leaving a particular script that would be needed the next day at home.   Like a good Taurean, I had reached my limit – particularly when I found the script in a different place from the place that he assured us that he had left it – I pointed out that possibly he had also mistaken where the other stuff that he said we should have was which in turn set him off on one of his most impressive rants so far.
Miraculously by dinner time, the shouting match may not have happened and while not really civil, he was a little more friendly.  I had a bad night that night.  I was wondering if it had been such a good idea to take on this job (which I had been told was the next best thing to an all expenses paid holiday).  I had not been told about the carting about and setting up of equipment.
We met at 7am the next morning and set up a small outside sound system  and Paul and myself went through the script (I would be assisting him – doing the sound and lights while he did the videos).    It was a highly tense session as I have not done sound and lighting since my school days in any big way.  There were a couple of small errors and each time Paul came down hard on me – as a result I would miss the next cue.  Eventually I asked him to wait until afterwards to shit on me.  After that (apart from a few moments where I missed the subtle signals from the people in the event to lower or raise the sound) all went well.
Paul did the evening function and I had my first time off Elangeni.
So we are up to date.  This morning we set up a second smaller venue using the equipment from the other vehicle.  The process went like clockwork with no serious issues.  Amazing how knowing a little about what needs to be done helps in the process! After that (Joy of Joys) 4 of the 5 of us were allowed the day off.  Much of this morning was spent connecting  to the local hot spot (R50 for 150Mb) and sorting out the e-mails that I received as a result (recall I have not been able to connect properly for over a week!).  This afternoon we attempted to visit the game reserve but it turns out that it is one of these that you have to go on the rangers’ vehicle.  At around 4.30 I went to visit the metropolis of Bela Bela.  The town is dry and dusty and fairly run down.  Many of the shops had already closed for business.  The main shop seems to be a large Spar but I noticed that there is also a Shoprite.  Still I always enjoy wandering through a different place.  This evening I enjoyed one of the beers that had come all the way from the Elangeni on the veranda of our cottage which overlooks a lake and watched the bats try to catch the insects that had not already been nailed by a somewhat irritating electric bug killer.

No comments:

Post a Comment