About Me

My photo
Born a Rhodesian, became a Zimbo. Moved to Cape Town to Study and then to Johannesburg to work. Returned to Cape Town to design Microwave systems and run a restaurant. Did an MBA and got married. Had Lauren (95). Retured to Joburg and worked for Alcatel. Had Guy (98). Left Alcatel for Telequip (a Broadcast equipment company - 98)) and then got a job in Chad (2000) (running a cell phone company). Finally returned to Hout Bay (01) and ran Marlinspike Guest House for 10 years after trying a few other options. Sold the guest house at the beginning of 2015 and now footloose and fancy free. This blog is about our travels and adventures over the years and as Lauren and Guy have grown into adults. It keeps our memories and hopefully provides some useful info for other travellers to the same places. Please feel free to add your comments and any other info that you feel may be useful to others. Most important, I hope that you enjoy what we have put together!

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

South African Road Trip - Intro


I got a call from Geoff to let me know that Paul (the other Paul) had a job for me which involved some travelling with a Sound Rig.  It would include some setting up and mixing of equipment.  I gave Paul a call – Paul has a business where he provides sound and light equipment for functions – and sure enough, it turned out that his sound man was unavailable.  He had a tour that would be going to various venues around South Africa  and he needed someone urgently.  Now for the catch.  He was leaving in a week’s time and the tour would last a month.

In the mean time we were preparing for Lauren’s big trip.  She was going to school in India for two years, so as you can imagine we were mostly concentrating on this major change in our lives.  Fiona reacted better than I had expected to the concept of her daughter leaving on Friday and then I would leave on Sunday,  I let Paul know that I would be available.

After that I heard nothing from him until the following Wednesday when he phoned to ‘confirm’ that I was available and to negotiate the agreement.  The trip was on.  He sent me through some details about  what would be happening.  We would be doing functions for PEP stores in Durban, Warmbaths (Bela Bela), Thaba’nchu, Mpekwenin Beach Hotel (near Port Alfred), Protea Hotel King George (George) and Club Mykanos (Langebaan).  Quite a trip and quite a few kms to travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment